UN chief follows with concern reports of Nagorno-Karabakh tensions: spokesman
Aug 05, 2022
United Nations, August 5: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is following with concern recent reports of tensions in and around the Nagorno-Karabakh region, said his spokesman on Thursday.
"While we are not in a position to confirm or verify such reports, we urge the sides to exercise restraint and address all outstanding issues through dialogue," said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesman.
Azerbaijan and Armenia on Wednesday accused each other of launching provocation in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, in violation of a cease-fire agreement between them.
Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at loggerheads over the mountainous region of Nagorno-Karabakh since 1988. Peace talks have been held since 1994, when a cease-fire was agreed on, but there have been sporadic minor clashes since then. A new round of armed conflict broke out along the contact line on Sept. 27, 2020, before Russia brokered a new cease-fire agreement on Nov. 9, 2020.